Access Now: AORN COVID-19 Clinical Support

Home >  News >  April, 2013

$6M Settlement in Muted Monitor Death

Tonsillectomy patient's fentanyl-triggered respiratory arrest went unnoticed in PACU.

Published: April 26, 2013

The death of a teen-aged tonsillectomy patient following an unnoticed post-op respiratory arrest has resulted in a $6 million pre-trial settlement, according to court records.

Mariah Edwards, 17, underwent a routine and uncomplicated surgery at the Abington (Pa.) Surgical Center in March 2012. While in recovery, she was administered fentanyl for post-op pain, which her attorneys explain led to respiratory arrest, which wasn't discovered for 25 minutes.

Ms. Edwards suffered hypoxic brain injury and was transferred to a nearby hospital, where she died 15 days later. Her parents sued the center, 2 RNs and a nurse anesthetist, alleging a failure to adequately monitor her in post-op after delivering a dose of the respiratory depressant drug.

While defense attorneys initially countered that proper monitoring had been conducted, a nurse revealed in a pre-trial deposition that the complication had gone unnoticed because the vital signs monitor had been muted and a curtain had been pulled around Ms. Edwards's post-op bay.

In a statement issued at the time of the settlement, the surgery center announced that an investigation of the incident had led to a policy prohibiting the muting of monitors, the drawing of curtains or the staffing of more than one narcotized patient per nurse.

David Bernard

Also in the News...

APIC Survey Reveals Depth of PPE Shortages
COVID-19 Call to Action
Virtual OR Excellence Still Going Strong
Lessons Learned During the Pandemic
Handle Workplace Legal Issues Like a Pro
The Secret to Safer Surgery
Remember Why You Work in Surgery

New to Outpatient Surgery Magazine?
Sign-up to continue reading this article.
Register Now
Have an account? Please log in:
Email Address:
  Remember my login on this computer

advertiser banner

Other Articles That May Interest You