Home E-Weekly November 14, 2017

A Look at U.S. Hip and Knee Replacement Patterns

Published: November 13, 2017

DATA POINTS The American Joint Replacement Registry assessed 2,000 hip and knee arthroplasty cases for this year’s Annual Report.

Total knee procedures represent nearly 60% of joint replacements and women make up about 60% of the total joint population. Those are just a couple of the many trends in knee and hip arthroplasty you'll find in the American Joint Replacement Registry (AJRR) 2017 Annual Report.

This year's report analyzes data on 860,080 hip and knee replacement procedures from 4,755 surgeons at 654 facilities, almost exclusively hospitals.

Total knee procedures continue to dominate, with all primary (55.9%) and revision (3.4%) total knee arthroplasties representing 59.3% of total procedural volume compared to 40.7% for hip procedures. These numbers have been consistent over the past 4 years of reporting, says AJJR.

In coming years, AJRR says it hopes to also measure surgical approach, use of bone cement and robotic-assisted surgery.

Brielle Gregory

New to Outpatient Surgery Magazine?
Sign-up to continue reading this article.
Register Now
Have an account? Please log in:
Email Address:
  Remember my login on this computer

advertiser banner

Other Articles That May Interest You

Get On Board With Bundled Payments

You can deliver quality outcomes at lower costs - and profit, too - by managing every aspect of an episode of care.

Fixing Stray Pets to Help Them Find Loving Homes

Q&A with John Keating, MD, SFOA, a "human" orthopedist with a heart for helping animals.

Should You Be in the Business of Fixing Fractures?

Outpatient trauma care is a cost-effective and patient-satisfying option for repairing minor breaks.