advertiser banner advertiser banner advertiser banner
Digital Issues

Home >  News >  December, 2013

$30 Million Malpractice Award to Woman Left Speechless by Surgical Fire

She was having polyps removed from her vocal cords with a laser when the fire broke out.

Published: December 9, 2013

A jury has awarded a 55-year-old Washington woman $30 million after a surgical fire that broke out while she was having polyps removed from her vocal cords left her unable to speak.

During the laser surgery last February at Central Washington Hospital, Becky S. Anderson's breathing tube caught fire, according to the malpractice lawsuit. Ms. Anderson reportedly will require long-term care and requires some assistance with breathing, but she's able to swallow and has her mental faculties.

Confluence Health CEO Dr. Peter Rutherford has issued a public apology and has offered to meet with Ms. Anderson and her family. Click here to read the full report.

Dan O'Connor


Also in the News...

1 in 10 Healthcare Workers Abuse Drugs
Was TV News Report About Surgeon Libelous?
Doc Accused of Slapping Sedated Patients So Hard He'd Sometimes Leave Red Marks
FDA Approves Upgraded Surgical Robot
Another Reason Why You Should Ban Smart Phones From the OR
Transition to ICD-10 Delayed Again
Did United Use Phony Excuses and Delay Tactics to Avoid Lap-Band Payments?

 
Have an account? Please sign in:
Email Address:
Password:
DID YOU SEE THIS?
Ophthalmology

Make Your Eye Surgeons and Financial Team Happy

advertiser banner

Other Articles That May Interest You

Courts: Improper Positioning Caused This Patient's Permanent Nerve Damage

Hospital tried to blame brachial plexus injury on open heart surgery.

$1 Million Malpractice Verdict Follows Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Patient's median nerve was cut by physician using Chow technique.

Retained Object Leads to Malpractice Suit

Patient says a piece of endobag broke off in her abdomen.