Second OpinionsOperating the C-Arm

Operating the C-Arm

I am curious if other privately owned ASC's have hired radiation techs for their facility to run the C-Arm for cases, or does management have the nurses run it?
In my state one must be licensed to perform medical imaging, but....

Started by: Christine Campanella (Other) at January 19, 2019 (9:04 am)

Comments and Responses

The ASC where I work in Texas employs a full time Radiology Tech. There are also 2 RNs who are certified to operate the C-arm.

Virginia R. (Other) at February 8, 2019 (8:48 pm)

FSSC employs Radiology Techs to operate the C-Arms. When not available (multiple cases), we utilize an OR Tech to position the unit and the Physician operates the foot pedal.

Raymond Krett (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at February 5, 2019 (2:11 pm)

Think it depends on your state. But Rad Tech must operate it. Nurses or Techs can only turn it on, and physician can operate it but again, depends on state. Some require physician to show training with physicist was completed annually

Aimee Snavely (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Executive Officer) at February 1, 2019 (10:10 am)

In Massachusetts no one but a rad tech can run a c-arm. After years of per diems we hired a full time (32 hours)rad tech. She is responsible for anything related to radiology (i.e. dosimeters, shield care, P&P's) Surgeons also need Fluoro certification.

Norma Bacon (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Exec. Officer) at February 1, 2019 (8:03 am)

Sometimes when an un licensed person runs the C-arm the patient receives radation burns.

Lonnie Bargo (Other) at February 1, 2019 (6:15 am)

Nevada is a non-licensure state at the moment. The physicians run the machine.

Mary C. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at January 31, 2019 (7:50 pm)

Full time radiology techs
Connie Allen RN CNOR Director Surgical Service

Connie Allen (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at January 31, 2019 (4:33 pm)

We have a full-time Radiology Tech

Fiona Stephan (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at January 31, 2019 (4:16 pm)

As stated above the MD must have Fluoroscopy License and then the Radiology Tech must also be present to run the Unit. CA huge fines per incident if they find out you do not have a License operator i.e. MD with Fluoroscopy License. RN and or CORT never acceptable to run the unit.

Cindy Boyle (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Executive Officer) at January 31, 2019 (4:13 pm)

Rad tech

Kendra Hardy-Dunnigan (Other) at January 31, 2019 (4:12 pm)

Next Page »

Submit a response to this discussion topic

Please login to submit a response to this discussion topic.

advertiser banner

Did You See This?