Second OpinionsDoes CMS require annual employee physica...

Does CMS require annual employee physicals?

Heard a rumor from a friend at another ASC that Joint Commission has told them during a recent survey that CMS is now requiring annual employee physicals. Does anyone know if this is true, or have documentation where this standard can be found? Thanks.

Started by: Jenifer Bazyl (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 1, 2017 (6:17 pm)

Comments and Responses

No, but the state of NJ requires you to have a policy on having a "fit for duty" assessment, determined by your policy and procedures. Ours is every 5 years.

Lisa York (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Executive Officer) at May 2, 2017 (4:25 pm)

I have never heard of CMS requiring this information. The only health information required is Hepatitis B immunization status and TB testing. Would love to know if this is not correct.

Rose E. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:54 pm)

I am a surveyor for CMS. The answer is you are required to have a health verification that each employee is free from restrictions to work annually. You are required to follow those OSHA guidelines, as well as Medicare guidelines . Personnel records must contain the following: any health problems of the individual which may be hazardous to the employee, other employees or patients, and a plan of action or special precautions delineated as needed.

M. Simek (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:26 pm)

No, but you must follow your own policy and procedures. If you have it in your employee P&P then you must do it.

Shara Chess (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:24 pm)

I am not aware of this-- but changes are constant with CMS.

Kim Merrill (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:24 pm)

No.
See: https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/downloads/som107ap_l_ambulatory.pdf

Ray Foster (Medical Director/Chief Surgeon) at May 2, 2017 (2:11 pm)

To my knowledge CMS does not mandate employee annual physicals (that would be an internal facility decision). OHSA does mandate a pre-employment physical, job description that defines physical requirements (lifting of 40#...).

Barbara Holder (Other) at May 2, 2017 (2:02 pm)

no I don't believe so.

Jessie Scott (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Exec. Officer) at May 2, 2017 (1:49 pm)

Submit a response to this discussion topic

Please login to submit a response to this discussion topic.

advertiser banner