Second OpinionsDoes CMS require annual employee physica...

Does CMS require annual employee physicals?

Heard a rumor from a friend at another ASC that Joint Commission has told them during a recent survey that CMS is now requiring annual employee physicals. Does anyone know if this is true, or have documentation where this standard can be found? Thanks.

Started by: Jenifer Bazyl (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 1, 2017 (6:17 pm)

Comments and Responses

it is is now 2018.
This got me thinking.
What if you or I contracted something.
We would not be able to work.
What then?
Are we somehow insured.
Would say long term disibility cover us.
Even if it was not job related.
An infected person just out in public for instance.
Our career would be over.
Things that make you go Hmmm!!

Daniel Delaware (Other) at April 5, 2018 (5:07 pm)

No, Medicare has never required this. The rumor is often mistakenly communicated. What is required is an annual assessment of the employee's condition that permits them to continue to work having no hazardous communicable disease that can be a problem for both patients and other staff members.

troy l. (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Exec. Officer) at March 6, 2018 (2:16 pm)

No, but the state of NJ requires you to have a policy on having a "fit for duty" assessment, determined by your policy and procedures. Ours is every 5 years.

Lisa York (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Executive Officer) at May 2, 2017 (4:25 pm)

I have never heard of CMS requiring this information. The only health information required is Hepatitis B immunization status and TB testing. Would love to know if this is not correct.

Rose E. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:54 pm)

I am a surveyor for CMS. The answer is you are required to have a health verification that each employee is free from restrictions to work annually. You are required to follow those OSHA guidelines, as well as Medicare guidelines . Personnel records must contain the following: any health problems of the individual which may be hazardous to the employee, other employees or patients, and a plan of action or special precautions delineated as needed.

M. Simek (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:26 pm)

No, but you must follow your own policy and procedures. If you have it in your employee P&P then you must do it.

Shara Chess (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:24 pm)

I am not aware of this-- but changes are constant with CMS.

Kim Merrill (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at May 2, 2017 (2:24 pm)

No.
See: https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/downloads/som107ap_l_ambulatory.pdf

Ray Foster (Medical Director/Chief Surgeon) at May 2, 2017 (2:11 pm)

To my knowledge CMS does not mandate employee annual physicals (that would be an internal facility decision). OHSA does mandate a pre-employment physical, job description that defines physical requirements (lifting of 40#...).

Barbara Holder (Other) at May 2, 2017 (2:02 pm)

no I don't believe so.

Jessie Scott (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Exec. Officer) at May 2, 2017 (1:49 pm)

Submit a response to this discussion topic

Please login to submit a response to this discussion topic.