Second OpinionsGloves in the Hallways (Back Hallways in...

Gloves in the Hallways (Back Hallways in the OR)

I started a new job and was told we cannot wear gloves to transport our dirty linen, trash and instruments (also bloody water on the table) to the dirty utility room. I was told this is a Joint Commission standard, but it goes against everything I was taught during my 29 years as a scrub tech. Can someone please clarify?

Started by: Rhonda Eubanks (Other) at March 22, 2017 (9:19 am)

Comments and Responses

I have seen surveyors write this up. So it is true. The item of concern is traveling with "bloody" gloves in cpoomon halls-however ,everything should be contained and covered and no gross contamination of the gloves-ie.,PPE. Answer is yes protect yourself but be mindful of the environment you travel in. Hope this helps. I cannot quote a regulation or standard but do know a surveyor has pointed this out to me in my previous life.

Christine S. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at March 28, 2017 (10:58 am)

You should always protect yourself with the proper PPE when transporting contaminated equipment or instruments. Like those who answered previously, I'm not aware of any JC standard that states you cannot use gloves while handling contaminated items. Obviously, it isn't appropriate to wear gloves when walking around the facility or from one patient to another. Once items have been placed in decontam area, hand hygiene must be done and also cleaning the areas on doors you may have touched while transporting.

Mary B. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at March 24, 2017 (1:10 pm) [last edited on March 24, 2017 (1:13 pm)]

You should always protect yourself with the proper PPE when transporting contaminated equipment or instruments. Like all those who answered previously, I'm not aware of any JC standard that states you cannot use gloves while handling contaminated items. Obviously, it isn't appropriate to wear gloves when walking around the facility or from one patient to another. Once items have been placed in decontam area, hand hygiene must be done and also cleaning the areas on doors you may have touched while transporting.

Mary B. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at March 24, 2017 (1:08 pm) [last edited on March 24, 2017 (1:09 pm)]

You most definitely should be wearing PPE when handling any contaminated item. At our hospital, we have Saniwipes and gloves conveniently placed outside each dirty utility room for staff to wipe off the door handles after placing linen, trash etc. in their designated areas.

Kari Bohn (OR Manager/Supervisor) at March 24, 2017 (7:43 am)

You have to protect yourself and I think OSHA would think differently and also infection control. Maybe someone does not want to pay for gloves?

S. Nova (OR Manager/Supervisor) at March 23, 2017 (4:05 pm)

I would not transport contaminated items without gloves.

Andrea B. (Other) at March 23, 2017 (3:58 pm)

You should always wear gloves when transporting contaminated items. Just make sure you change them out right away and do hand hygiene once you have dropped your instruments off in the decontam area. I, too, am unaware of any Joint commission regulation that says you can't do this.

Rebecca Williams (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Exec. Officer) at March 23, 2017 (3:26 pm)

Our surgery center staff definitely wear gloves to transport all contaminated or dirty items to the dirty utility room. Having said that I concur that removal of contaminated gloves and good hand washing hygiene is a must after transportation of contaminated items. I too am very unaware of any JC, DNV, or AAAH standard that would prohibit gloves being worn when transporting contaminated items. However anyone can simply contact JC, DNV, or AAAH via phone or email and ask a policy question. I certainly have several times and they were quick to respond to my question. Also JC's website has the answers to most commonly asked policy questions on their website. This may be useful for you without having to email or call. Your hospital infection control individual should also know the certifying agencies stance on this for your facility. Ours is AAAH and the answer is gloving to transport here with good hand hygiene upon removal of gloves.

R. Glover (Other) at March 23, 2017 (3:21 pm)

You should change your surgical gloves out for exam gloves upon leaving the OR room. This way there is no confusion as to which gloves you are wearing and also not to carry contamination from the last procedure with you. But you should always have on gloves when handling contaminated items. If your facility is telling you this, they are setting themselves up for an employee injury-exposure.

Jerry Criswell (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at March 23, 2017 (2:37 pm) [last edited on March 23, 2017 (2:39 pm)]

you can, and should, absolutely wear gloves when transporting any dirty/soiled items, specifically bloody items. You would just need to make sure that you remove the gloves and use hand hygiene before touching anything else you might contaminate (i.e. door knob) or when you are done transporting.

I am unaware of any JC standard that would contradict this.

M S. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at March 23, 2017 (1:58 pm)

Submit a response to this discussion topic

Please login to submit a response to this discussion topic.

advertiser banner