Second OpinionsAccessing ports for anesthesia

Accessing ports for anesthesia

Do you routinely access patient ports (port-a-cath, etc) for anesthesia? I'm referring to mostly ASA 3 or less and for protocol. Are your nurses allowed to initiate access to start IV fluids? Or just your anesthesia providers?

Started by: Denise Fletcher (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at October 13, 2015 (12:56 pm)

Comments and Responses

We have been asked by patients to access ports in lieu of starting a PIV. We currently do not have a protocol in place for this. Would you be willing to share your policy? Thank you. b.page@proliancesurgeons.com

B. Page (Other) at June 19, 2017 (11:29 am)

We have been asked by patients to access ports in lieu of starting a PIV. We currently do not have a protocol in place for this. Would you be willing to share your policy? Thank you. b.page@proliancesurgeons.com

B. Page (Other) at June 19, 2017 (11:14 am)

I would be interested in a copy of the protocol also if anyone would consider sending it to me @ reasonj@me.com

Reason Mills (Other) at October 15, 2015 (8:41 pm)

Our nursing staff is allowed to access ports. Our facility requires a physician order stating "OK to access port".

Denise C. (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Executive Officer) at October 15, 2015 (12:49 pm)

The first post should read propofol rather than protocol. But if anyone is willing to share their protocol and training materials it would be greatly appreciated. The center I'm working with does not have these in place. Thank you!
Djfcnor@gmail.com

Denise F. (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at October 15, 2015 (5:37 am)

Would you please share your policy and required training for accessing ports?

Thank you,

Marie Wheeler, RN, CNOR
Mwheeler@OSEsurg.com

marie wheeler (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at October 14, 2015 (5:21 pm)

Nursing and anesthesia providers are allowed to access Ports, provided they are trained and comfortable doing so. It is much better for the patient, since they already have poor venous access.

Brenda Long (OR Manager/Supervisor) at October 14, 2015 (1:25 pm)

We do access mediports and pick lines for our patients that have them. Nursing staff that have been specially trained access them to start IV fluids and our anesthesia providers use them for MAC sedation. It certainly is done for patient satisfaction as these individuals have poor IV access.

kathleen Tafoya (Director, Surgical Services/Director of Nursing) at October 14, 2015 (10:44 am)

We do access port-a-caths for anesthesia depending on the degree of difficulty for starting an IV as well as patient preference. Most patients with ports are very difficult sticks and prefer that their port be accessed. Nurses are allowed to access ports using the correct PPE.

E. Whitton (OR Manager/Supervisor) at October 14, 2015 (10:31 am)

Submit a response to this discussion topic

Please login to submit a response to this discussion topic.

advertiser banner