Second OpinionsAn acceptable OR jacket?

An acceptable OR jacket?

Our ASC would like to provide jackets for our staff. We are looking at 100% polyester fleece from a nationally known catalog retailer. But I'm wondering: Is polyester fleece OK to wear in the OR?

Started by: Presley Mallett (Anesthesiologist/Nurse Anesthetist) at February 6, 2014 (1:23 pm)

Comments and Responses

After working for years in freezing operating rooms I can assuredly say it is pure misery to be cold for hours on end, performing complex duties while standing or sitting with no hope of generating enough body heat by moving about. I never was alone in my suffering, as nurses and techs wrapped themselves in blankets or wore disposable gowns in an attempt to keep comfortable.

In response, I have created a simple and practical solution; a comfortable garment to provide warmth that can be worn in the operating room over scrubs, and under a scrub warm-up jacket or surgical gown. The garment is in the form of a belt to be worn around the torso. It is available in three sizes to accommodate the majority of the user population, and is composed of materials to meet AORN standards even though it is to be worn unexposed, which in itself meets AORN standards. The OPERATIONHEATJAC´┐Ż┬® helps operating room staff stay warm.

Mark Silverberg, DDS, MD
Anesthesiologist & Managing Member
OPERATIONHEATJAC, LLC
www.operationheatjac.com

Mark Silverberg (Anesthesiologist/Nurse Anesthetist) at June 5, 2017 (11:34 am) [last edited on June 5, 2017 (11:35 am)]

Never! Fleece has no place in the OR. A tightly woven fabric that is laundered in a professional laundry is the only option.

Pennie M. (Other) at February 10, 2014 (8:35 am)

I would like to hear from Judith H. as to companies she is aware of that have the warming and cooling vests.
Anesth2Go@aol.com

Mark Silverberg (Anesthesiologist/Nurse Anesthetist) at February 8, 2014 (2:58 pm) [last edited on February 8, 2014 (2:59 pm)]

Some of the comments on here are absolutely ridiculous. I have been in the O.R. setting for about 23 years now and have assisted in approximately 20,000 cataract cases and 20,000 LASIK procedures, not to mention numerous other ophthalmic cases. To say that surgeons and the scrub techs aren't going to faint, pass out, etc. and why keep the temp so low just for them.... Obviously it's easier for someone to put more clothes on then for others to remove them. I do understand patient safety also..... If a surgeon is doing an intense concentration surgery, it's much easier if they are cool and not sweating. When people get overheated they loose concentration and mistakes are made. I know there are products on the market like cooling vests, but that's not always an option at every surgery center.

Blake L. (OR Manager/Supervisor) at February 7, 2014 (8:38 pm)

Are You Tired of Frigid Temperatures in the Operating Room? Does the cold make you miserable while at work?

As a board-certified anesthesiologist with 22 years of experience, I share your experiences of being too cold for hours on end.

SHIVER NO MORE! I have invented a garment you can wear to work to stay warm!

I AM CURRENTLY SEEKING:
1. A manufacturing/distributing company to produce my heated jacket and vest. (both meet AORN standards) (both can also be used for cooling)

The market includes: hospitals and surgery centers, nurses, technicians, and physicians.

2. Support and comments from operating room personnel.

THIS INVENTION IS FOR YOU! Please let me know how you feel you would benefit from being warm and comfy while at work. Color requests for a jacket/vest?

Mark Silverberg (Anesthesiologist/Nurse Anesthetist) at February 7, 2014 (8:29 pm)

Knowledge of current AORN standards and recommended practices is essential for all perioperative staff and ASC administrators. If you check this resource, you'll find that fleece is not allowed in the OR.

Cynthia Harting (Administrator/Director/Manager/Owner/Executive Officer) at February 7, 2014 (5:25 pm)

Why is it not practical to turn up the thermostat to 68-72? When I do burn cases, and the surgeon shaves of 40% of a patient's skin, the surgeon is the one ASKING for the temp to be 95 in the room to protect the patient. No one faints. No staff "dies of heat". The OR staff just refuses to adjust to a 68 degree room temp and it is out of selfishness.

Don B. (Anesthesiologist/Nurse Anesthetist) at February 7, 2014 (2:38 pm)

Fleece should not be used in healthcare. Fleece does not standup to the hot temperatures of the wash water or the dryers.

H. Nelson (Other) at February 7, 2014 (1:19 pm)

Fleece is not acceptable for anyone in the OR caring for the patient due to the shedding factors as stated. As an OR nurse for over 45 years I understand cold in both the scrub and circulating roles,so I agree with appropriate thermostat settings for patient safety.
I suggest you look into the company that makes VESTS both warming and cooling for members of the team since you are planning to make a purchase. It is possible each team member may appreciate this option and would consider a portion of the expense. These members have chosen the OR as their life's career,I only wished they had these years ago I love them now.

judith h. (Other) at February 7, 2014 (12:18 pm)

Fleece is not acceptable for anyone in the OR caring for the patient due to the shedding factors as stated. As an OR nurse for over 45 years I understand cold in both the scrub and circulating roles,so I agree with appropriate thermostat settings for patient safety.
I suggest you look into the company that makes VESTS both warming and cooling for members of the team since you are planning to make a purchase. It is possible each team member may appreciate this option and would consider a portion of the expense. These members have chosen the OR as their life's career,I only wished they had these years ago I love them now.

judith h. (Other) at February 7, 2014 (12:17 pm) [last edited on February 7, 2014 (12:18 pm)]

Next Page »

Submit a response to this discussion topic

Please login to submit a response to this discussion topic.

advertiser banner